Before you set off on a shopping trip, do you give thought to what you are looking for or just start buying what you like or what is on sale? Does the sign of 75% off cloud your thinking? This is the type of trip that often brings on the clutter.
Here are some questions to ask before you set off on a shopping spree:
- Do I need it?
- Do I have something already that will work?
- Would an accessory purchase give me a new outfit with clothes I already own?
- What is my budget for the item?
- Can I afford it even then?
- If I buy it, will I actually wear it?
- Does it fit now? (This requires actually trying it on_)
- Is this about needing the item, or trying to fill another need?
- If I buy it, where will I put it?
- Am I willing to give other items in order to make space for this?
- What do I look like from all sides with this on?
- Do I still want it after that last question?
- Will I keep it, or want to return it later?
- Is this a planned or impulse purchase?
- Do I want it enough to try it on?
- Can I wait and think about it and purchase later?
- Will it stand the test of time and do I REALLY want it?
So, just remember that if you keep at it and ask a few questions, your purchases will give years of satisfaction instead of buyer’s remorse. A quality purchase makes you feel good and it is even better if you can save money and fulfill a need at the same time. Try following these steps next time you go shopping.